A series of Royal Reserves throughout the Kingdom that represent a potential new form of tourist attractions for both local residents and international visitors.
- Client: A.T. Kearney Saudi Arabia Ltd.
- Partners: Royal Court Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Royal Reserve
- Project Duration: February – April 2019
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has made recent strides in environmental protection with initiatives to preserve the natural environment and wildlife that will boost tourism, reduce fishing and overgrazing, and protect biodiversity. As part of these efforts, a Royal Decree established a series of Royal Reserves throughout the Kingdom that represent a potential new form of tourist attractions for both local residents and international visitors.
Solimar was contracted to assist the government establish a network of Royal Reserves modeled after the US National Park System and other international best practices in protected area management and sustainable tourism. More specifically, Solimar provided advisory support on tourism and the development of the Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Reserve and the overall management for the Reserve system. The Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Reserve is a unique and relatively rural space with small populations surrounding flora and fauna sites. Against the backdrop of picturesque sand valleys, the reserve offers a plethora of cultural attractions that can be developed into tourism products.
- Phase 1: Preparatory Analysis
- Provide benchmark examples on regional development leveraging National Park and nature reserve projects and strategies
- Provide expert input and relevant lessons learned on natural reserve areas related to the development of the Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Reserve
- Phase 2: Concept and Value Proposition
- Provide expert input and guidance in identifying and assessing potential service offerings and designing the customer experience for the reserve
- Phase 3: Strategy and Operating Model
- Provide expert input and guidance in developing the organizational strategy, service portfolio and delivery models
- Phase 4: Business Planning
- Provide input and insights into the Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Reserve business plan, governance structure, legal registration, and operationalization plan
- An analysis and detailed report on the development of the Imam Turki Bin Abdullah Reserve in a way that engages the local community while preserving the natural values of the area