Building capacity of online marketing techniques and partnership development for the Namibia Tourism Board to increase online and social media presence and help grow the Namibia tourism industry.
- Client: Millennium Challenge Account – Namibia
- Partners: Namibia Tourism Board, Millennium Challenge Corporation
- Project Duration: July 2011 – July 2013
Consumers are increasingly using online sources to learn about destinations and make key travel decisions. MCA-Namibia contracted Solimar International to enhance the Namibia Tourism Board (NTB)’s online marketing activities and identify new global audiences.
Solimar strengthened online communities, penetrated new target markets and drove sales. Innovative use of social media and online advertising compliment enhancements to Namibia’s award winning website and a series of four targeted campaigns utilize best in breed platforms to engage new audiences with inspiring content. Solimar ensured that the NTB has all the tools and institutional capacity necessary to integrate online and social media marketing into the country’s overall marketing strategy.
- Creating Online Marketing Strategy: this online marketing strategy is aligned with the NTB’s overall business strategy and serves as the starting point for the Online Marketing Campaign and as the foundation for all decision-making and activities.
- Creating and Implementing New Business Strategy: the creation of a two-year Online Marketing Business Plan based on the Online Marketing Strategy set a course of action and clarified the resources needed to implement the strategy.
- Implementing Online Marketing Campaign: With the strategy and business plan in place, Solimar implemented the Online Marketing Campaign in collaboration with the NTB and its international offices.
- Building Capacity: Solimar provided a comprehensive training program that combined intensive on-site workshops and distance learning through webinars to train NTB personnel in online marketing techniques. Solimar also assisted in improving the connectivity of NTB international offices.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Tracking the effectiveness of each campaign component ensured best use of funds to meet campaign goals. Being able to see what works and what doesn’t allows for better use of resources and a more effective campaign.
The primary goal of the campaign was to ensure the NTB had the necessary tools and capacity to combine online marketing activities with their current overall marketing strategy. Specific results include:
- Increased quantity and quality of Namibian tourism information
- An active community of travelers, media, trade partners, and NTB brand ambassadors communicating actively and positively about Namibia online
- New and strengthened trade partnerships to better leverage trade investments in marketing and sales of Namibia
- A globally integrated virtual marketing team that is working collaboratively to implement a cohesive online and social media marketing strategy adapted to the local context
- Significantly increased worldwide knowledge of Namibia as a tourist destination and increased tourism revenue from additional visitors following the declaration by the Ministry of Tourism to double the number of visitors by 2020.