Promoting the unique destinations and attractions along the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail
- Client: National Park Service
- Project Duration: September 2016 - September 2021
The Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Program is designed to support the natural assets, cultural attractions and historically important places that make the Lewis and Clark trail a unique and vibrant tourism attraction. The Program will help the people, places and businesses connected by the trail to tell the story of what’s unique and authentic about their place and create a resource for travelers to explore the length, breadth and diversity of the trail.
Our approach helps to bring stakeholders and businesses together to understand and appreciate the importance of the trail and how tourism can bring economic vitality and social connectivity for the communities that are part of the trail. The Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Program will highlight lesser-known sites, attractions and businesses in the region, driving visitation to these places through an interactive website populated with places identified and described by locals.
- Initiate key stakeholder outreach and establish Lewis and Clark Geotourism Stewardship Council;
- Define process for gathering Point of interest (POI) nominations and other content;
- Develop nomination website and communication calendar;
- Hold local workshops, meetings, and trainings to assist with website nomination phase;
- Review and approve POI nominations;
- Launch website and assist with roll-out;
- Develop a Strategic Tourism Plan for the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail; and
- Assist with the implementation of the strategic plan.
- Establishment of Lewis and Clark Geotourism Stewardship Council to guide and sustain the program;
- A website that showcases the unique attractions along the Lewis and Clark Trail.
- Certificate, window sticker and digital badge from the Lewis and Clark Stewardship Council for all sites, attractions, and businesses on the website;
- Strategic tourism plan and implementation of activities for the long-term sustainability of the program; and
- Local stakeholder and traveler community building through social media.