The flow of people in and around a destination presents an important opportunity to enhance tourism’s ability to generate significant economic impact, especially in rural and remote destinations. Solimar develops tour itineraries, circuits, and routes as a means to help visitors understand, approach and appreciate a destination. As active marketing tools, circuits and routes can be developed around a particular theme to attract visitors and increase their length of stay.
The strategic development of circuits and routes can also diversify the tourism products and experiences in a country. This diversification of tourism assets can spread benefits to small businesses and rural communities while reducing pressure on the most frequently visited areas—such as those designated as UNESCO World Heritage sites. Solimar focuses the development of circuits and routes by bringing together a network of stakeholders—including the government, associations, local communities and the private sectors—to work together and cooperate effectively in order to market and conserve the destination.
Solimar has developed a number of tourism routes and circuits in countries around the world—including 11 artisan-themed tourism circuits throughout the maze-like streets of the Medinas in Fez and Marrakech, Morocco. Solimar also facilitated the creation of “La Ruta Amistad”, a cultural route linking Costa Rica and Panama, and designed marketing materials to help visitors travel more sustainably.
What to Expect
- Identification – Solimar will conduct a thorough assessment, evaluation and prioritization of the routes and circuits to be developed.
- Local Engagement – We work with with key stakeholders through a participatory process to develop a shared vision and strategic guidelines for the development and marketing of the route.
- Evaluation – We assess all of the opportunities and gaps pertaining to the route—including attractions, tourism infrastructure, services, environmental issues, and community engagement.
- Development – Solimar will help develop through route through formally engaging all route participants and enabling organizations.
- Marketing and Promotion – Developing and implementing a marketing strategy for the route that addresses the target markets, branding, competitive positioning and communications strategy.