Washington DC & Virtual Internship Program
Solimar International is excited about building future leaders of sustainable tourism development! Our Washington DC-based and our Virtual Internship program is designed to help current students and recent graduates gain real-world experience in the sustainable tourism industry through hands-on engagement while working alongside the Solimar team in our Washington DC office located in Shaw or by joining our virtual team based around the world.
Solimar International is a sustainable tourism consulting and marketing firm with a team of creative and experienced professionals who share a common vision of how tourism can stimulate economic growth while conserving natural resources and cultural heritage. Our tourism consulting and marketing services focus on delivering innovative tourism assessments, destination development strategies, and tourism marketing for our clients, which include international development organizations, tourism authorities, national and local governments, NGOs, preservation agencies, tourism & private sector enterprises and local communities.
We are currently seeking energetic and motivated interns to assist with a variety of program support needs. Duties will include project implementation, research, communications, and business development—providing interns with valuable exposure to a variety of aspects of a small international development consulting firm.
- Program support to include research, assistance with client deliverable preparation, implementation of strategic plans and monitoring and evaluation;
- Communications support to include writing blog posts and managing/crafting content for social media platforms (i.e. engaging in online conversations);
- Trade and media outreach to tour operators and journalists to help sell and promote the destinations in which Solimar works; and
- Business development support to include research and assisting in the preparation of proposals to a variety of private and donor clients.
Projects That You May Work On
- Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail with the National Park Service
- World Heritage Journeys with UNESCO and National Geographic
- My Armenia Cultural Tourism Program with Smithsonian and USAID
- Timor Leste Tourism for All Program with Chemonics International and USAID
- Republic of Georgia with Economic Security Program with DAI and USAID
- Nature Based Tourism Development in Nepal with the World Bank & IFC
- Sustainable Islands Platform with the Inter-American Development Bank
- Jamaica Community Experiences with the Jamaica Community Tourism Alliance
- Sedona Verde Valley Tourism Council
- Inn at Meander Plantation in Central Virginia
Qualifications and General Requirements
- A passion for sustainable tourism development, communications and marketing;
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- An attention to detail and willingness to take on a variety of projects; and
- Current or recently graduated students are eligible to apply.
Timeframe and Time Commitments
Internships are designed around the academic year and we offer three sessions a year:
- Fall Session: Mid-September – Mid-December
- Spring Session: Mid-January – Mid-May
- Summer Session: June – August (flexible start and end dates)
This position is part time with flexibility in scheduling, but we ask each for a commitment of 15-20 hours. Breaks are given during exam weeks and holidays.
The internship is unpaid, but we provide learning opportunities and support with career planning and networking in the sustainable tourism development industry.
This is a great opportunity to build experience in tourism marketing and sustainable development while working in a team-based atmosphere. If you have excellent writing skills and an interest in sustainable tourism, this internship will be a great experience for you.
How to Apply
If you believe you would be a good addition to our team, please submit a resume to [email protected] along with a cover email telling us if you are interested in the Washington DC office internship or the Virtual Internship and more information about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit.