Tourism Development Field Placements
Looking for an unparalleled opportunity to gain real-world experience in the unique intersection between tourism and international development industries?
Solimar International is launching our tourism development field placement program for passionate individuals to spend several months living and collaborating with local destination development organizations (DMOs) in emerging destinations.
This program is aimed at those seeking a more engaging experience than just a volunteer or internship abroad. As such, you are expected to have high independence and professionalism working directly with local destination professionals.
Spanning five continents (and vastly different climates and cultures), our host organizations and countries will change throughout the year. While we are not currently recruiting for a field placement, check back for future opportunities.
For further information on each project, please check out the projects tab on our website.
What is a DMO?
Many of our placements support a local Destination Management Organization (DMO) – you might also know them as Convention and Visitors Bureaus (CVBs) or tourism centers. These organizations responsibly manage and market tourism through strategic tourism operations. They are always thinking of how to position the destination towards the greatest success… and you can be a part of that process!
For more information, read our blog explaining the significance of these organizations.
What will you be doing?
Each placement is different! We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our projects so that you can learn about our deliverables, goals, and primary activities.
Your day-to-day tasks will vary depending on the immediate needs of the host organization. Generally, you will be working on writing content, managing social media, helping manage inquiries, assisting communication with members, and possibly supporting the development of new products to be offered.
All projects are fundamentally rooted in the same mission: This is a unique chance to integrate into a host country DMO, working on a tourism project that has a truly meaningful impact. You will be an on-the-ground intermediary, working with Solimar and your sponsor destination management organization.
We are looking for true trailblazers who are also excited to help set up this in-country program for future participants.
- Become an expert in DMO development training through Solimar’s expert guidance and resources
- Gain practical development experience that will prepare you to pursue employment in destination development, strategic planning, or the general tourism industry
- Invaluable professional connections in the DMO and sustainable tourism field
- Work in a unique, emerging destination, not on the traditional tourist path
- Receive guidance from Solimar, one of the world’s leading sustainable tourism consultancies
- Gain practical and theoretical knowledge of both the tourism and development industries by working with a cutting-edge initiative
- Leave a meaningful contribution that will benefit the local communities you will be working with
- Enjoy your free time exploring the beautiful host country you are placed in (we know there’s a big chance you love to travel!)
- Eagerness to create a meaningful, longstanding, and sustainable program
- High levels of flexibility: some details of this project could change because of the nature of the role, and we are looking for an all-star who thrives under these circumstances
- Experience in Tourism, Communication, Graphic Design, Marketing, Digital Marketing, Journalism, or Media Management
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible in accepting living conditions you might be unaccustomed to in your home country
- Culturally sensitive: applicants should enjoy working in a new thrilling new context with people of other cultures that might be different from your home culture
Additional Desired Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree at minimum
- Proficiency in the local language – language skills directly contribute to personal and professional satisfaction during your placement. These skills are critical to your job performance, help you integrate into your community, and can ease your personal adaptation to new surroundings.
- Willingness to engage with local language
- Experience working in DMOs
Placement Orientation and Support
To ensure you are positioned towards success, your placement commences with several weeks of digital orientation and training to brief you on life in-country. During this period, you will be assigned materials to aid your understanding of the project, the local area, and the local tourism context. Additionally, members of the Solimar team have previously visited your placement site and will provide guidance and advice regarding life on the ground, budgeting, health, and behavioral expectations. Before you arrive, you will also meet your host DMO, who will provide additional information on how to prepare for life in their country. Upon arrival, the DMO staff will be your go-to people. These are experienced tourism professionals who can teach you enormous amounts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When will I depart?
We are still setting up the opportunities in most of our placements, which will be unveiled later. For those ready to embark ASAP, we are recruiting for our Georgia project to depart in May 2023. Follow Solimar on LinkedIn to hear about future opportunities.
How long will my placement be?
We ask for a commitment of at least three months at your host site. Preference will be given to those who can stay longer.
Who will be supervising my placement?
Your position will be jointly supervised by the Solimar International team based in Washington D.C., and the staff in your host DMO.
What compensation will I receive as a result of this program?
This depends on each placement! Check back for future opportunities.