Tourism Private Sector Specialist – Armenia
Tourism Private Sector Specialist – Armenia
USAID South Caucasus Regional Tourism Program
Tourism is an important economic sector for the countries of the South Caucasus and is a viable entry point for building regional collaboration, cooperation, and stability. It has the potential to improve the livelihoods of rural, urban, and peri-urban communities across multiple economic strata. In 2019, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism contributed 12.7% of the GDP for the region. However, countries suffered severe impacts from the pandemic with tourism falling by more than 83% by 2021. While a post-COVID recovery is underway, regional geopolitical dynamics have also impacted the tourism sector.
USAID’s South Caucasus Regional Tourism Program (SCRTP) aims to promote long-term regional cooperation across the South Caucasus region, based on shared economic interests in the tourism sector that contribute to mutual prosperity, collaboration, and stability in the region. The program seeks to work collaboratively with the private sector, civil society actors in support of tourism development, and tourism development related government ministries and agencies, including ministries of economy and environment, while serving as a model for cross-border engagement among other economic sectors.
The South Caucasus Regional Tourism Program identifies opportunities for product development and innovative marketing, develops regional multi-day itineraries to promote tourism, and facilitates mutual learning to foster best practices in the tourism sector.
The short-term consultant’s primary objective is to facilitate crucial engagements for the South Caucasus Regional Tourism Program in Armenia. This involves orchestrating and coordinating meetings with key entities such as the National Tourism Authority, National Protected Area Authority, and National Heritage Authority. Additionally, the consultant will be responsible for scheduling a meeting with a select group of private sector representatives, particularly focusing on tour operators. During these sessions, the consultant will introduce the project and the project’s Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party. This role also encompasses locating and inviting suitable private sector individuals, attending scheduled meetings in late January to provide translation assistance as needed, and compiling comprehensive meeting notes for distribution to participants. Furthermore, the consultant will play a pivotal role in recruiting participants for the Private Sector Advisory Group in Armenia and offering valuable suggestions on where to strategically post the Country Manager job description.
Detailed responsibilities Include:
- Organize, recruit and schedule meetings in Armenia to introduce the SCRTP with the following entities (meetings should be arranged for late January):
- National Tourism Committee
- Ministry of Nature Protection
- Ministry of Culture
- Donor Projects
- Schedule a meeting with a group of private sector representatives, focusing on tour operators (meeting should ideally be arranged for late January)
- Organize the logistics of the above mentioned meetings, including identifying an appropriate meeting space, sending invitations, organizing food and beverage, etc.
- Identify and secure the participation of pertinent private sector individuals to ensure the representation of key stakeholders
- Present the SCRTP to the private sector representatives and orchestrate the establishment of a Private Sector Advisory Group derived from this group
- Attend the meetings and provide translation assistance during the meetings, as required
- Assume responsibility for recording the proceedings during the meetings or coordinate with a designated note-taker, subsequently preparing and disseminating detailed meeting notes to the participants
- Record attendance names, organization, title, email, phone numbers, and gender of participants
- Play an instrumental role in the recruitment efforts of the Private Sector Advisory Group in Armenia
- Provide suggestions for where to post the Country Manager job description
- Provide comment and translation of a survey that will be developed to send to the private sector group after the meeting
- Enter contact information into a stakeholder database following the meetings
- Proven experience and expertise in the field of tourism in Armenia
- Connections established within the field of tourism in Armenia
- Strong organizational and coordination skills, specifically in orchestrating meetings and liaising with key entities involved in tourism
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with diverse stakeholders, including private sector representatives like tour operators and public sector representatives
- Proficiency in translation, in English, to facilitate smooth communication during meetings and ensure accurate documentation.
- Ability to introduce and represent the South Caucasus Regional Tourism Program and its leadership (Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party) in a professional and engaging manner.
- Strong networking skills to locate and invite suitable private sector individuals, fostering the creation of a Private Sector Advisory Group in Armenia.
- Experience in facilitating meetings, including the ability to lead discussions, manage time effectively, and ensure that the project’s objectives are communicated clearly.
- Proficient in taking detailed meeting notes and compiling comprehensive reports for distribution to participants, ensuring accurate documentation of discussions and action items.
The primary work location will be remote in Armenia, with occasional travel within Armenia.
The position will begin January 2, 2024 – March 15, 2024. The SCRTP Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party plan to travel to Armenia at the end of January 2024 for the meetings described above.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Eligible applicants are required to complete and submit through email all the below documents to be considered for the position.
- A cover letter of no more than 2 pages that demonstrates how the applicant’s qualifications meet the job qualifications
- A CV or standard resume
- Names of three professional references, including at least one current/former supervisor. This information may be included in the cover letter or resume/CV.
Please submit applications to Micah Sorum at [email protected].
Apply to Position